Back in July I made some bunting to string up on the front of the house to celebrate the start of the summer holidays. I had planned to take to down the next day, then I decided to leave it up for a week, but I liked it so much I left it up for the whole of the summer holidays and September! I only took it down last week because it was looking tatty.
My poor house looked naked without it! I had already resolved to make some autumn bunting, so I was very happy to discover that Fabric Rehab were giving away an autumn themed bundle that weekend with orders over £30! I love free stuff, fabric and getting stuff in the post so I was one happy camper!
The stuff arrived and the free bundle was so beautiful I almost didn’t want to cut into it!
I used a template for the triangles which I had cut from a cereal packet.
I drew a horizontal line 20 cm long, found the middle and drew a vertical line 20 cm long at right angles to the original line. Then I joined the ends of the top line to the end of the vertical line.
Next I sorted them out into an order that i thought looked nice. This was very easy as the fabrics had been chosen to compliment each other and whatever order I put them in they would have looked gorgeous!
Rummaging in a box of bits and bobs, I found 3 1/2 m of red bias binding. There are various ways of stringing up the flags but my preferred method is to use bias binding as I find it to be both easier and neater than using string or ricrac.
I gathered up my flags and set about sewing it up.
I folded the bias binding in half lengthways and sewed about 10 cm of it. Next I slipped the top of a triangle into the fold and and continued to sew along the bias binding so that the raw edge was contained inside the folded bias binding. Then I popped another triangle inside the folded bias binding and kept sewing until all the triangles where neatly held inside the folded bias binding.